Christiana Z., P. (2014, February 4). Where we get our fresh water. Retrieved from http://ed.ted.com/lessons/where-we-get-our-fresh-water-christiana-z-peppard
around 97.5% of the earth’s water is oceans, making the remaining 2.5% fresh water which is used to sustain human lives on earth. The 2.5% of fresh water is broken down into different parts, surface water, polar regions and ground water. 0.3% of the freshwater is surface water which is all fresh water that is above the ground. 70% of the earth’s freshwater is the polar ice caps which is not available for human use. The remaining 30% of freshwater is groundwater, groundwater is easier to obtain then frozen water and more reliable than surface water. Due to industrialization, there is an increasing amount of water usage. Agriculture uses 70% of our freshwater. Therefore, with this limited amount of water, it is not enough for future usage and we need to find more ways to filter the unusable 97.5% of the earths water to sustain the earth in the future.
We want to find new ways to filter the water to make it safe for drinking,as the population is rising,more water needs to be consumed,thus there has to be more drinkable water to meet the need.So we are finding out if activated carbon can be used as a filter for turbidity.